The leader of the band is tired, And his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through my instrument, And his song is in my soul
The heart and soul of a person’s legacy is in the essential ingredients of great leadership and interpersonal skills. These ingredients became the foundation of the brand promise and will help to create the living legacy of the leader of the band. Here are the essential ingredients. Ask yourself in the privacy of your own heart and conscience where are you are on your journey and how would you answer these questions:
- Do I deserve the respect of the people in my care, my peers, my boss, my family, friends and those I have relationships with?
- Do I treat them with dignity and respect?
- What are the things that I do to be helpful to them?
- Do I view them as part of the solution or part of the problem?
- Do I take the time to understand some of the issues that may be affecting them and their performance?
- How carefully do I listen?
- Finally, am I viewed as a person who is sincere, fair, honest and impartial as a leader and person?
A person who may be technically qualified but with poor “people relationships” will be ineffective. We all have deficiencies in our relationship skills, but by recognizing them and trying to overcome them, each of us can make improvements. We should remember at all times to be courteous and pay attention to the details, as these details can mean a lot to those we interact with and can become the fabric of our legacy.